Knit & Crochet Cable Projects

Don't you just love the cable vest? It looks so comfy and with the blue jeans and plaid shirt it looks so casual. I love to knit, but my fingers these days are not cooperating with the knitting needles. So I prefer to crochet. I'm pretty sure that this pattern could be converted to a crochet pattern. Maybe down the road I will try to duplicate it in crochet. But for those of you that love to knit, I think it would be a beautiful addition to anyone's wardrobe.

Paton yarns has this "free" pattern. Just click on the picture below and you will be redirected to the pattern. I have also included some really cute crocheted sweaters and vests at the bottom of this post from Pinterest.
 
Knitted Cable Vest Pattern                              

Stitches and Tutorials
As I said in my opening, I don't knit much anymore. The hands just don't work well with the knitting needles. I prefer crocheting...not so hard on my hands. I love using different stitches when I'm crocheting scarves, hats, headbands, baby sweaters, pillow wraps and adult pullover sweaters. I also love learning new techniques in crocheting. My Grandmother would be very proud that what she taught me oh so many years ago has turned into a love in my life. 
Here is an example of a pillow wrap. I love Dollar Tree. They have so many ideas for decorating. This pillow was made out of two bathmats from Dollar Tree. It took about an hour to complete.  No sewing with this pillow, everything is glued. I used twine for both sides and did a whip stitch to complete. I added a cabled pillow wrap to it. I love the way it turned out!
Once I became proficient in making the cables, I started making sweaters and scarfs. On the sweater I used the cables as the main stitch, but added a cross stitch at the top. The scarfs were very easy and allowed me to learn how to make the cables better. I didn't use a pattern for these. I just went for it. I love this sweater and my neck scarfs, especially on those cold winter days we are now experiencing in the Northland.

Crochet Cable Stitches and other Creative Stitches...
There are so many videos and websites to learn just about anything. The videos below are so very informative. I love to learn new things and these videos really help with beautiful crochet stitches. Making a crochet cable is easier than you think. I have made many sweaters using the Unraveled Mitten tutorial. Once you get the hang of making cables, you'll want to make lots of new things. 
Here are a few more really nice stitches. I think the camel stitch looks a lot like a knitted ribbing stitch. The remaining videos are on beautiful stitches that could be used for sweaters, afghans and etc.
How to make the Camel Stitch Video...by Bella Coco Crochet                                        
How to make a Waffle Stitch Video by Bella Coco Crochet
Every year I do one craft show here in the Twin Cities. I bring all the pretties that I have made throughout the year. It's such a fun weekend. It's also my social event of the year. Meeting and greeting hundreds of people is so much fun. So many people have stories of their own about crocheting. I've had many people ask me to teach a crocheting class. Although it is tempting, I would rather do what I am doing...no pressure. I have taught my Granddaughters to crochet and they are now making adorable amigurumi stuffed toys. If you have never seen this type of crochet item, I have a few pictures below that might interest you. www.passionatecrafter.com My Granddaughters have made so many of these cute little projects.
One Final Thought...
Well, that's it for today. Winter is very long, but when you have a few projects to keep you busy during the winter it goes pretty fast. My favorite thing to do is cooking, but the next best thing is crocheting. It totally relaxes me. I do hope you find a little time to create something really cute with the cable stitches.




Here are a few pins I picked out that I thought would go great with this post. All adorable and pretty easy to make. Maybe one of them will catch your eye. I also found a great website for knitting and crocheting many years ago. The name of the website is "Drops Design". It is a pattern company in England and they have thousands of beautiful free patterns. Just click on their logo and you will be redirected to their website. Worth the look...




Always remember..."Life's short...eat dessert first!"...words to live by!