Dark Chocolate Raspberry Tart

OMG! My absolute favorite combination...dark chocolate and raspberries. I think I've died and gone to heaven. Now, all I need is a good red wine and I'm set! LOL!!! Well, now that I have voiced my love of wine, dark chocolate and raspberries, I think it's time to talk about the dessert.

I found this recipe many years ago in a Family Circle magazine. I tried to find it on the internet, but its not out there anymore. So I thought I would post my saved copy on my blog to bring it back.  It is to die for. Using  sour cream and creme' de cacao must be the secret that makes this dessert so decadent. If you want to show off your culinary skills, this recipe is for you. Actually it's a very simple recipe to make. Your family or guests will think you worked on it all day. It's definitely a perfect ending to a perfect dinner, event or possibly as a Valentine's Day dessert. Such an easy dessert with a big impact. 
Here's what you will need for this Yummy Dessert
The ingredients for this dessert are pretty straight forward. I decided to change a few things though. I used raspberry extract rather than Creme' de cacao. I felt it would enhance the taste of the raspberries on top. This time of year raspberries aren't like the ones we get in the summertime. So why not help the taste with a little help from raspberry extract. It tasted amazing!
This is the filling for the tart. It's pretty thick, but spreads very nicely on the tart.
The base of the tart is crushed Oreos with about 6 tablespoons of butter to easy to form in the pan. Crush the cookies in a food processor until fine. Then add the softened butter and process until it comes together.
After you have processed the cookies and butter. Pat into the tart pan. Make sure you compact the cookie mixture. The bottom should be almost hard to the touch. Place in refrigerator to set, about 30 minutes.
After you make the pudding mixture, cover and let set on counter until the crust has firmed up. It should take about 30 minutes. Then spread pudding mixture on crust to edge of cookie bottom. Beat the whipping cream. Add a tablespoon of sugar and add 1 teaspoon vanilla or whatever extract you are using. 
And here it is! It's a very easy recipe, like I said. It also takes very little time to make. It's rich in flavor, very smooth and is really delicious. Add your wine of choice and you have a really great dessert for your family and guests.
 
Worth Investing in
This recipe is made in a tart pan. However, you can make it in a pie pan or round tart pan. I like the looks of the oblong tart pan. Plus it is so attractive when you place it on a rectangular plate. I cut a piece of foam board to 1" larger on all sides of pan and placed a homemade doily out of card stock on it. I then covered the whole thing with a piece of clear cupboard lining to protect the design on the cardstock. (Cut the cupboard lining about 1" larger than the board on all 4 sides and fold the cupboard lining onto the back. It will stick very nicely. 

I'm sure this tart pan can be purchased at any kitchen store near you.  However, I found that Amazon carries it also and a great price. If you have "Prime" there's always the bonus of free shipping...
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Tart Recipe
Crust Ingredients:
  • 28 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
  • 6 tablespoons of softened butter
Filling Ingredients:
  • 1 box (3 ounces) devils food or chocolate instant pudding and pie filling
  • 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup cold milk 
  • 1/3 c. sour cream
  • 2 T. creme de cacao (or whatever extract you would like to use. I used raspberry extract)
Topping Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. whipping cream (you could use regular Cool Whip or flavored Cool Whip for topping)
  • 1 tsp. raspberry extract, strawberry extract, almond extract, or creme' de cacao (or whatever extract you  like). I used raspberry extract. It just enhanced the flavor of the raspberries   
  • 48 raspberries, rinsed
    Crust Directions:
    1. In food processor, crush cookies until no white filling remains visible. Add butter; pulse until blended and crumbs begin to stick together. Transfer to rectangular 14 x 4 x 1-1/4-inch tart pan with removable bottom (see note); press up sides and over bottom to form 1/4-inch-thick crust. Refrigerate.
    Filling Directions:
    1. In large bowl, whisk pudding mix and cocoa powder. 
    2. In small bowl, whisk milk, 1/3 cup sour cream and creme' de cacao. 
    3. Add milk mixture to pudding mixture; beat on low until just moistened. Increase speed to medium-high; beat 2 minutes (consistency of frosting). 
    4. Scrape into tart shell; spread level. Refrigerate 1 hour. (Recipe may be prepared up to this point, covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated for 4 hours or overnight.)
    Topping Directions:
    1. Whip the whipping cream to peaks and spread on tart or use a star tip and pastry bag to pipe on the whipping cream.
    2. Place raspberries on top as shown in picture.
     One Final Thought 
    There are so many tarts out there both sweet and savory. I love them all. It's almost like they're oblong delicious pies.  So yummy! Below are a few sweet and savory tarts that I saw on Pinterest. I'm sure I'll have other posts on tarts. They are so good and so easy!

       


    Always remember..."Life's short...eat dessert first!"...words to live by!